The scale and scope of this problem space requires an interdisciplinary team with expertise in both computer security and healthcare information technology. We assembled an outstanding multi-disciplinary team from four universities (Dartmouth College, Johns Hopkins University, University of Illinois, and University of Michigan), comprised of senior researchers with deep expertise in security, mobile computing, cloud computing, and the application of these technologies to healthcare. Our team includes professors of computer science, business, health policy, and behavioral health, as well as the CISO of a major hospital and a leading cybersecurity research leader now at GWU. The four site PIs are, alphabetically,
- Kevin Fu (UM): Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, member of the NIST Information Security and Privacy Advisory Board, ORISE Fellow at the FDA, and director of the Ann Arbor Research Center for Medical Device Security (Archimedes).
- Carl Gunter (UIUC): Professor of Computer Science, Professor in the College of Medicine, Director of the Illinois Security Lab and the Health Information Technology Center, and PI of the HHS-ONC funded Strategic Healthcare IT Advanced Research Projects on Security (SHARPS).
- David Kotz (Dartmouth): Professor of Computer Science, PI of the NSF-funded Trustworthy Information Systems for Healthcare (TISH) project, and former director of the Institute for Security, Technology, and Society (ISTS).
- Avi Rubin (JHU): Professor of Computer Science, Technical Director of the Information Security Institute, and PI of one of the first NSF CyberTrust centers (on e-voting).
Rounding out the team are a broad group of faculty with deep expertise:
- Michael Bailey (UM): Research Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, with expertise in availability and security of complex distributed systems.
- Roy Campbell (UIUC): Professor of Computer Science, with expertise in security, cloud computing, and ubiquitous computing.
- Steve Checkoway (JHU): Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, with expertise in embedded systems security.
- Eric Johnson (Vanderbilt): Dean of the Owen School of Management, and author of the book The Economics of Financial and Medical Identity Theft.
- Darren Lacey (JHU): Chief Information Security Officer and Director of IT Compliance for the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- Carl Landwehr (GWU): Lead Research Scientist at the Cyber Security Policy and Research Institute (George Washington University), and previously managed cybersecurity research programs at NSF, IARPA, and DARPA.
- Lisa Marsch (Dartmouth): Director of the NIH-funded Center for Technology and Behavioral Health and on the faculty of the Department of Psychiatry.
- Klara Nahrstedt (UIUC): Professor of Computer Science, with expertise in security, cloud computing, and multimedia.
- Jonathan Weiner (JHU): Professor of health policy and management at Bloomberg School of Public Health, Professor of Health Informatics, and Director of the Center for Population Health IT (CPHIT).